Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross clears up confusion following President Trump’s June announcement.

US companies will be able to sell equipment to Huawei, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross confirmed Tuesday, but only after they get licenses and when there’s no threat to national security. The declaration by Ross followed President Donald Trump’s promise last month to ease restrictions on the embattled Chinese telecom as he tried to revive trade talks.

“Huawei itself remains on the Entity List, and the announcement does not change the scope of items requiring licenses from the Commerce Department, nor the presumption of denial,” Ross said at a Washington event.

Trump added the company to the list through a May executive orderbecause of alleged links to the Chinese government.

Separately, Trump economic adviser Larry Kudlow said the licensing requirements would only be relaxed “for a limited time period,” meaning the licenses could stop coming if the trade talks don’t progress smoothly, according to the Financial Times.

Huawei didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Steven Mnuchin, US secretary of the treasury, is also reportedly encouraging US suppliers of the Chinese tech giant to seek licenses to resume their sales to Huawei, The Wall Street Journal said Wednesday afternoon.

The treasury didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Originally published June 10, 2:25 a.m. PT.
Updates, 5:50 a.m.: Adds link to Ross’ speech; 3:56 p.m.: Includes report about treasury secretary.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here