Bout Ye. This post contains a tonne of absolutely class craic, but you might spot a few wee spoilers in there. Read on at your peril.
In the words of the Spice Girls, New Year’s Day was the night that two became one.
A special episode cooked up by Channel 4 just in time for New Year’s, The Great Festive Bake Off 2020 was gas, in the words of our beloved Northern Irish schoolgirls. That means funny, just FYI.
The episode starred three of our Derry Girls — Saoirse-Monica Jackson (Erin), Nicola Coughlan (Clare), Jamie-Lee O’Donnell (Michelle) — as well as Siobhán McSweeney (Sister Michael) and Dylan Llewellyn (James aka the “wee English fella”).
Genuinely blown away by the response to #GBBO, makes me so happy so many of you enjoyed it!
The craic was in abundance so it’s going to be tough to fit all the hilarious moments into one article. But I’m gonna give it a whirl. Here are the 14 funniest moments.
1. When Bake Off hosts Noel Fielding, Sandi Toksvig, Prue Leith, and Paul Hollywood dressed up as Derry Girls. To be fair, Noel makes for a very convincing Michelle. As Jamie-Lee O’Donnell described her twin on Instagram, “2 absolute rides!”
It’s the Derry Girls, but not as we dough it. #GBBO
2. When Nicola Coughlan made the worst Swiss Roll we’ve ever seen. Third time’s a charm, mind.
3. When she re-did her Swiss Roll sponge but accidentally grilled it instead of baking it. You might say she broiled it and spoiled it. OK, I’ll stop.
4. When the wee English fella cracked a rude joke. Ooh err indeed.
5. When Siobhán McSweeney tried to convince people that her slimy trifle was traditionally Irish.
6. When Siobhán tried to trick Paul into a Hollywood Handshake.
Catch yerselves on, girls.
You can watch The Great Festive Bake Off starring the cast of Derry Girls on All Four catchup.